Winter’s chill is in the air, and so is the zesty scent of ripening citrus fruits!
A rather surprising recipe - made with juicy oranges, skin and all! Easy to make, moist, dairy free and gluten free, this cake packs a citrusy punch and never fails to be a hit. Compliments will come pouring in over cups of tea!
My first experience of this recipe was attending a cookery class at Sprigs Restaurant and Deli in Kloof, KZN. If you are ever taking a trip down that way, it is well worth your while to pop in!
Don’t be afraid to try this cake, the best time being the beginning of citrus season, before oranges get too pricey and lose their flavour due to cold storage. Navel oranges are best to use as they have no pips, but don’t allow something as little as pips to deter you from giving this super easy recipe a try. If you can’t find Navels, simply remove the pips of other varieties. The oranges are boiled to reduce the bitterness of the pith and soften the rind.
Where has this recipe been all my life? It is one of my favourite discoveries!
Lifakwe iphunga lamawolintshi kanye namakinati e-almond leli khekhe elingenaso isithako sikakolo (gluten), nobisi lingadliwa noma yisiphi isikhathi setiye noma nokudla kwakusihlwa!
Kwanela abayi-10 kuya kwabayi-12
Shisisa uhhavini wakho ube u-180°C
Gcoba isitsha sekhekhe esiyithini. Beka esitsheni iphepha lokubhaka.
3 amawolintshi amasha aphakathi nendawo, ageziwe
250g amakinati e-almond agayiwe
1 ½ amathisipuni zikabhekhingi phawuda
¼ thisipuni kasawoti
1 inkomishi ya-castor sugar
Icing sugar wokuvuvuzela
1. Beka amawolintshi aphelele angahlutshiwe kwisospani. Kumboze ngamanzi bese ukubilisa kuvaliwe ngesivalo. Cwenga amanzi ukuyeke kuphole imizuzu eyi-15.
2. Susa ingxenye esekugcineni. Sika amawolintshi abe amakota ususe izinhlamvu.
3. Phosa amawolintshi asikiwe emshinini wokugaya ukudla (food processor)
kuze kube ayashuba. (Kuzoba namakhasi amancane asele). Beka eceleni
4. Hlanganisa amaqensi agayiwe, nesikhukhumalisi (baking
powder) kanye nosawoti esitsheni. Kubeke eceleni.
5. Shaya amaqanda no-castor sugar esitsheni esikhulu sokuhlanganisa, imizuzu ecishe ibe emi-3 kuya kwemi-5 kuze kube iyaphushuzela futhi kungagqami ngombala.
6. Hlanganisa inhlanganisela yewolintshi kanye nenhlanganisela yamaqensi ukuhlanganise kahle.
7. Thela inhlanganisela esitsheni sekhekhe esilungisiwe bese ubhaka isikhathi esingangehora kuze kube okuhloma phakathi kuphuma kumsulwa.
8. Susa ikhekhe kuhhavini ukulinde kuphole esitsheni sethini uma uthanda. Beka imbali ye-rose eqhakazile enombala obomvana phezu kwekhekhe ukuze libukeke kahle!
10. Liphake linjalo, noma nokhilimu oshayiwe noma iyogathi ye-double cream noma i-Mascarpone ehamba nama-strawberries noma i-raspberries eceleni.
(Ithathwe kwi-Sprigs Restaurant Cookery School, Kloof)
1. Ukwenza leli khekhe libe mnandi kakhulu, ikakhulu uma uliphaka njengedizethi, faka ngesipuni sesiraphu yewolintshi phezu kwekhekhe emva kokuphuma kuhhavini. Ukwenza isiraphu yewolintshi hlanganisa ijusi namanzi ewolintshi elilodwa elikhulu kanye no- ½ wenkomishi yashukela ukufake kwisospani elincane. Kubeke emlilweni okahle ugoqoze kuze kube ushukela uyancibilika. Kubilise bese wehlisa umlilo ukuyeke imizuzu embalwa kuze kuphenduke isiraphu. Bhoboza ikhekhe phezulu uma liphuma kuhhavini. Faka ngesipuni isosi ebilayo. Kuyeke kuphole ngokuphelele ethinini ngaphambi kokuba ukukhiphe.
2. Iphezulu lekhekhe lizoqala lishintshe umbala libe nsundu emva kwemizuzu engama-30 kuya kwengama-40. Ukugwema ukusha, mboza isitsha sekhekhe esiyithini ngefoyili kulesi sigaba.
Loaded with the heady scent of fresh oranges and earthy almonds, this gluten, dairy free cake will round off any teatime or dinner with aplomb!
Serves 10 – 12
Preheat oven to 180°C
Grease a 23 cm loose bottomed cake tin. Line the bottom with baking paper.
3 medium fresh oranges, washed
250 g ground almonds
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup castor sugar
icing sugar for dusting
1. Place the whole, unpeeled oranges in a saucepan. Cover with water and gently boil with lid on for 1 hour. Drain and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
2. Slice off the end pieces. Cut the oranges into quarters removing any pips.
3. Blitz the orange pieces in a food processor until they are a smooth pulp. (There will be a few flecks of peel in the pulp). Set orange pulp aside.
4. Mix the ground almonds, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
5. Beat the eggs and castor sugar in a large mixing bowl for about 3 – 5 minutes until fluffy and pale.
6. Fold in the orange pulp and almond mixture combining well.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for about an hour until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
8. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool completely in the tin.
9. When cool turn out of the tin carefully and dust the top with icing sugar if desired. Place a full blown light pink rose on top for that extra flair!
10.Serve plain, or with whipped cream or double cream yoghurt or Mascarpone with some fresh strawberries or raspberries on the side.
(Adapted from Sprigs Restaurant Cookery School, Kloof)
1. To make this cake even more decadent, especially when serving this cake as a dessert, spoon an Orange Syrup over the top of the cake the minute it comes out of the oven. To make the Orange Syrup mix the juice and zest of 1 large orange with ½ cup of sugar in a small saucepan. Place over gentle heat stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat to simmer for a few minutes until syrupy. Prick the top of the cake as it comes out of the oven. Spoon over the boiling hot sauce. Allow to cool completely in the tin before turning out.
2. The top of the cake will start browning well after about 30 - 40 minutes. To prevent burning cover the top of the cake tin with tin foil at this stage.